Hi! My name is Flo. This is where I write and share my experiences with a few of my favorite things – Yoga, wine (won’t say no to a good white sangria), and wanderlusting my way around the world. I was born in Taipei and grew up in Hong Kong. I went to uni in Melbourne, lived in San Francisco briefly, and am currently based in Hong Kong – I have a hard time answering the question: where is your accent from?
Growing up, I swam, ran and played netball and basketball but as I began my career in the corporate world, I saw myself working 12-16 hour days and being unable to take part in all the team sports I had been so active in. I turned to yoga as a way to exercise and also detach from the stress that had built up over the years – mentally and physically. I decided to take the plunge to make a major change in my life and quit the world of corporate communications, and am now working to create a new ecosystem around me and my new priorities.
“They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold; and I deem them mad because they think my days have a price.” – Kahlil Gibran
In November 2015, I graduated from a RYT 200 yoga teacher training program at the Yoga Garden in San Francisco, and am enjoying the process of continuing to deepen my practice – love a good urdhva padmasana (upward lotus) but still trying to conquer my fear of inversions. Curse you, pincha! Read about my yoga journey and check out my bio here! Find me here on the Yoga Alliance website and here on Yoga Trade. Interested in reading a little bit more about my Yoga journey? Click here!
I started Yoga, Wine & Travel in mid-2015 as a way to share my photography and travel tips with friends and family…and soon it became clear that writing and creating helpful, comprehensive destination guides was more than just a pet project that I worked on while drinking wine and watching Law & Order SVU. 3 years later, my focus is on providing practical travel tips, detailed destination guides and honest reviews for independent travelers who are looking for luxury, boutique and beyond-the-ordinary travel experiences.
I endeavor to travel deeper and show the different sides of a destination that you may not have seen before, and am always trying to get off the beaten track to discover hidden gems. Let me help you spend less time on planning your trip and more time on experiencing the journey! Let’s talk a little about what you will and will not find on Yoga, Wine & Travel:
What you will find:
- Long-form travel & yoga articles
- Quality travel tips and recommendations for boutique and luxury travel
- Detailed guides to help you plan your trips and make smart, ethical and responsible travel and booking decisions
- Honest and insightful reviews of hotels, products and services that I have had personal experiences with. I only work with brands that are aligned with my personal values and style of travel.
- Clear disclaimers regarding sponsored content and affiliate links
- Banner and in-content advertising to help support the costs of running this site (and the occasional glass of wine). I work with Mediavine, a quality advertising platform. More on this here.
What you will not find:
- Vague tips and content
- Anything that tells you that you need to buy more stuff in order to travel better or be a better “Yogi”
- Random sponsored posts and “placed links” that bring no value to the reader
- Budget or backpacker travel guides. There are amazing bloggers out there who are experts on this segment of travel – but it’s not my area of expertise
- Unethical and unsustainable travel recommendations
- Recommendations and reviews of hotels, products and services that I’ve never tried/used myself
Today, I try to get in as much of the things that I love as possible and also trying my hand at new things – I went to Sri Lanka and learned to surf (goes to show, it’s never too late!). I have two little dachshunds that I love and adore (Sam and Lola!), and being away from them is probably the biggest downside of traveling. Sometimes my days consist of an intense 90-minute ashtanga practice followed by french fries at lunch and mojitos at dinner: and I’m starting to learn that that’s okay! I’ll keep you posted as I eat, drink and step onto the mat around the world.
Get in touch with me for collaboration proposals and sponsorship opportunities!