Foundations of Healing Yoga Retreat, Sri Lanka March 2018
Join us in idyllic Sri Lanka to immerse yourself in Yoga.
March 30 - April 2 2018 at Jasper House, Southern Sri Lanka with Tye Fielding & Florence Shih
Nurture the mind, body and soul, and experience the beauty of this amazing country and its people. The retreat will give you an opportunity to unwind, seek balance and build strength through active asana practice as well as slow and blissful restorative and yin classes.
Start your morning with an active 90-minute Vinyasa or Ashtanga practice before breakfast, and then relax by the pool, enjoy a massage, try your hand at surfing or head out to explore southern Sri Lanka (read this article for 7 reasons why you should attend a Yoga retreat in Sri Lanka).
In the afternoon join us for a 60-minute workshop focusing on Yoga philosophy, chakras or partner work, followed by a 60-minute Restorative or Yin class to unwind and de-stress. Retreat guests can also experience a 1:1 Reiki energy healing with Tye Fielding to promote balance.
The retreat will be held at the beautiful Jasper House, a beachfront eco-luxury boutique resort near the southern tip of Sri Lanka. If you love stunning sunsets, lounging by the pool and drinking juice straight from coconuts then this is the perfect place to connect to your surroundings and delve into your yoga practice. Jasper House features an entire top floor for you to relax and watch the stunning sunrises and sunsets, while having a dinner cooked by your own private Chef. Go for a dip in the freshwater lap pool, check out the view from your eco-luxe bedroom, or head over to the beautiful Hiriketiya Bay for a swim. Jasper House is just a 5 minute walk away from the beach.
Sample Retreat Schedule
Friday March 30 – arrivals and introduction
- The retreat begins in the afternoon with an introductory meeting and meet-and-greet. We will then head straight into our first 90-minute Yin Yang class followed by a short meditation and group dinner.
March 31 – April 2
- 7 am Ashtanga or Vinyasa Yoga class (90 minutes)
- 9 am Breakfast
- 10 am Mandala, massage or meditation workshop or group excursion
Free time to explore, relax and unwind
- 12:30 pm Lunch
Free time to explore, relax and unwind
- Afternoon Chakras, partner or philosophy of Yoga workshop followed by Yin or Restorative Yoga
- 7 pm Dinner
Tuesday April 3 – departures
What to expect
This retreat is designed to be invigorating and challenging, yet relaxing and rejuvenating at the same time. There will be plenty of opportunities to explore southern Sri Lanka (we have lots of recommendations!) or have some much needed down time by the pool or beach. This is the perfect opportunity to delve a little deeper into Yoga but still feel like you are on vacation.
Beginners and advanced practitioners are welcome, and adjustments/modifications will be available. If you’d like a little insight into what to expect, a guest from our retreat in 2017 took the time to write a detailed testimonial and write-up of her time with us in Sri Lanka.
Click here for Katie Mac’s take on being a part of our Yoga retreat: “I Can’t Touch My Toes & I Did A Yoga Retreat – Here’s How It Went“
Some key takeaways:
- “We were able to participate in different styles of yoga classes such as Vinyasa, Ashtanga, Yin, Restorative, Partner Yoga and even a workshop to learn more and ask questions. I didn’t realize it beforehand but after the retreat I appreciated this setup so much because it gave me such a good all round look at the different styles, their uses and also their benefits. I had never gained such insight or understanding from the times I had done a regular gym yoga class.”
- “…we had the option of enjoying complete relaxation by either getting a massage (which was also included in the yoga retreat), lazing by the pool with a book and fresh coconut or spending some time at the beach. To explore, and I can’t tell you how helpful and appreciated this was, Flo would answer questions about things to do in the area and offer suggestions as well as help us book drivers if we needed them.”
- “In just 5 days of classes I had learned a lot – a lot about yoga but also a lot about myself. I improved each day, with each class breathing a little better, stretching a little more and feeling a little more confident and through the support and encouragement of my yoga instructors I was able to achieve so much more than I thought was possible.”
Prices & Booking
EARLY BIRD (no longer available)
US$ 1000/HK$ 7815 per person for a private deluxe room
Early bird prices available until January 31, 2018!
US$ 1150/HK$ 8985 per person for a private deluxe room.
Prices include your accommodation in a deluxe room, breakfast everyday and ALL your yoga classes and workshops!
A 30% deposit secures your spot. The balance must be made before March 2nd 2018. Payment can be made via Paypal or bank transfer (for guests with Hong Kong bank accounts).
- 4 nights’ accommodation (March 30, March 31, April 1, April 2) in a deluxe room at Jasper House (want to arrive a few days early or extend your stay? No worries – just let us know and we’ll provide you with the latest room rates!)
- 10 x yoga classes and workshops in Jasper House’s beautiful open-air shala
- 1 x private Reiki healing session
- 1 nutritious and delicious breakfast each day
- VAT and service charge
- Airport transfers to/from Colombo in an air-conditioned van (3 hour drive each way, each van can fit 3-5 people comfortably, price per van: approximately US$120 for pick up, US$110 for drop off)
- Group surf lesson or SUP rental
- Full body massages
- Group excursions to Galle Fort etc.
Prices do not include:
- Flight or visa expenses
- Beverages (soft drinks, juices, beer, cocktails)
- Lunch or dinner (but don’t worry, we will be taking you to have some delicious and budget-friendly meals in the area)
Your Retreat Leaders
Florence Shih, RYT 200
Florence’s yoga journey began in 2011, when she turned to yoga after sustaining injuries from years of playing netball and running, and also as a way to improve her overall mental and physical well-being; she now hopes to be able to share this way of seeking balance through yoga with others. Prior to completing her teacher training, Florence led communications and public relations functions for a number of technology companies.
Florence’s teaching philosophy is centered on communicating how to practice alignment-based yoga to achieve health benefits, as well as cultivate awareness in action, thought and speech. Through conscious sequencing and an emphasis on linking movement with breath, Florence’s classes will build strength, flexibility and stability and offer something to students of every level.
Tye Fielding, RYT 500
Yoga has been a part of my life for quite some time now practicing casually on and off, falling in and out of dedication to practice. It wasn’t until I journeyed through south India taking various yoga classes that I realized how incredible the power of yoga can be: yoga is not only a tool to become flexible and strong physically, but a lifestyle that vastly improves the quality of life in all aspects.
This realization led me on a journey to Rishikesh in India, the yoga heart of the world, where I studied and attained the RYT 500 advanced yoga teaching certificate specialising in Hatha Vinyasa, Pranayama and Yoga Nidra. Fascination with natural therapies of healing and human anatomy has led me to become a massage therapist and Reiki Master. My greatest aspiration is to forever learn, explore and expand my love, knowledge and understanding.
Frequently asked questions
Yes! All levels of yoga practitioners are welcome! Plenty of guidance will be provided to ensure that your experience is a safe and positive one.
We will touch on a number of Yoga styles during the retreat, including the following:
Ashtanga: A dynamic, physically demanding practice synchronizing breath and movement. Ashtanga Yoga is based on a set sequence of poses and is great for building core strength and enhancing flexbility.
Vinyasa: Flow through a dynamic sequence of yoga poses and build heat in the body! Vinyasa Yoga focuses on linking poses with breath to strengthen the joints and muscles, increase flexibility, and open the mind.
Restorative: Center the breath, mind and body and calm your nervous system by practicing stillness or gentle movement for extended periods of time. Yoga props are used to assist in helping to hold poses and settle into relaxation and rest.
Yin: Deep stretches focusing on deep connective tissue, ligaments, tendons and muscles. Yin Yoga incorporates holding poses for long periods of time and provides a perfect opportunity to tune into the breath and calm the mind.
Mats, blocks and bolsters will be provided, but please feel free to bring your own mat!
Sri Lanka is hot and humid during March and April, so bring breathable fabrics and Yoga attire.
You should also try to pack mosquito repellent and sunscreen as prices tend to be marked up in the local supermarkets.
Yes, please get in touch with us for shared room rates.
Florence and Tye have spent a fair amount of time in Sri Lanka and would be happy to send through suggestions of places to visit and things to do. A good place to start is here: https://www.yogawinetravel.com/travel/sri-lanka/
Jasper House is approximately 3 hours away from the international airport in Colombo. The best way to get here is by private van. We would be happy to arrange airport transfers for you, please send us your flight details once you have them.
Alternatively, you can take a train from Colombo to Matara and hop on a tuk tuk to Hiriketiya Bay.
And...the cancellation policy
Minimum number of participants needed:
There is a certain number of participants required for the retreat to go ahead. If the minimum number of registrations is not met, participants will be notified at least 2 weeks in advance and the full amount paid will be refunded.
If you need to cancel:
We understand that unexpected circumstances may arise. If you need to cancel, please note that cancellation fees may apply and your initial 30% deposit is non-refundable.
- If you cancel before March 1, you will be refunded any balance paid (minus the 30% deposit)
- If you cancel after March 1, you will forfeit your entire balance payment in addition to the 30% deposit.
Due to the need to commit to accommodation and other arrangements in advance, exceptions to the cancellation policy cannot be made for any reason.