This is not your average museum experience.
We’ve all been taught that history is a dry subject…yet it doesn’t have to be, and I don’t believe that you can truly experience a destination without an understanding of its culture and heritage. Growing up here, I’ve witnessed the city evolve and change over the decades, and sometimes I wonder if the fragments of “Old Hong Kong” still exist.
The Hong Kong Museum of History is hosting a brand new exhibit to showcase the Hong Kong story in an educational and truly interactive way. This “Recreating a Classic” exhibit is a stand-in while the permanent exhibition undergoes an extensive renovation, and offers a visual and experiential route through the timeline of Hong Kong history.
We wandered through more than 10,000 square foot of exhibits detailing the history of Hong Kong through the dynasties, folk culture and traditions, its educational system, the Opium War, the Japanese occupation and development into the modern metropolis it is known as today. The exhibit concludes with the handover of Hong Kong from British rule back to China in 1997.
The exhibit also features an incredible space that recreates familiar scenes from Old Hong Kong – tenement-style housing, herbal tea stalls, olden-day convenience shops and barber salons, and of course the quintessential Hong Kong “cha chaan teng” diner experience.
Whether you are revisiting memories or it is your first time in Hong Kong, you’ll love delving deeper into the city’s history and culture.
If you’ve followed me for some time now, I hope that my photos and experiences here have helped you to see that Hong Kong is not necessarily the Hong Kong you may know – it’s a diverse destination full of surprises. Yes, we have more skyscrapers than New York and Tokyo, but we also have beaches, national parks, marine parks, mountains and waterfalls just a hop and skip away from the depths of the city.
There’s more to Hong Kong than meets the eye – there’s no better time to learn more about the history and heritage of Hong Kong and peel back the shiny exterior. Visit the Recreating a Classic: The Best Features of the Hong Kong Story exhibit at the Hong Kong Museum of History now!
Location: 1/F Exhibition Gallery at the Hong Kong Museum of History (take TST Exit B2 and it’s a short 5-10 minute walk from there)
Opening hours: Monday, Wednesday to Friday: 10 AM – 6 PM; Saturday, Sunday and public holidays: 10 AM – 7 PM
Ticket price: Entry is free!
Looking for more Hong Kong destination guides? You might also enjoy these articles:
- Traveling to Hong Kong for the first time? Here are 11 things you should know about Hong Kong before your trip and the most popular things to do in the city
- Looking for some off-the-beaten-path and unusual things to do in Hong Kong? Here are my recommendations
- Here are some important dos and don’ts in Hong Kong to know before your trip
- Love street photography? Here are the best places to capture the city on camera
- Have more time in the city? Venture beyond the main areas and head out on one of these Hong Kong day trips
- Foodies will love the culinary scene in Hong Kong. Here are some of my favorite Hong Kong restaurants
- Still not sure where to stay in Hong Kong? These are some tried-and-tested boutique hotels in the city that you’ll love
Pin this for later!
I was invited by the Hong Kong Museum of History to attend a media preview of the exhibit. Photos were taken during the preview – visitors must abide by current health regulations which includes wearing a mask at all times indoors.
Enjoyed reading this article? Subscribe to the mailing list!
* Unsubscribe at any time. Your e-mail address will only ever be used to send the occasional Yoga, Wine & Travel newsletter.